Townsend Labs Sphere L22™ microphone system fmodels the characteristics of the most sought-after large-diaphragm condenser microphones with amazing accuracy, and allows selection of different mics and patterns even after tracking. It consists of a high precision dual channel microphone, which when paired with the included Sphere DSP plug-in (UAD, VST, AU, AAX Native) accurately models the response of a wide range of mics, including transient response, harmonics, proximity effect and three-dimensional polar response.
Using a dual-capsule microphone with dual outputs makes it possible to more completely capture the soundfield—including the directional and distance information otherwise lost with a conventional single-channel microphone. This allows the Sphere system to precisely reconstruct how different microphones respond to the soundfield. In contrast, other microphone modelling technologies apply EQ to filter the sound from what is essentially a conventional microphone. This is fundamentally no different from using EQ to process a recorded track.
The Sphere L22 microphone modelling system comprises this precision dual-channel microphone, plus an audio plug-in for your DAW. The software plug-in does all of the DSP processing used to create the microphone models. Using a plug-in, instead of DSP processing built into the mic, has the major advantage of allowing the user to change all of the modelling settings, such as mic type and polar pattern, after the audio is recorded.
Sphere’s three-dimensional approach captures the spatial nuances, proximity effect and off-axis frequency response of a wide range of microphones, which until now was not possible with any other product. Access some of the most prized microphones of all time, including a 47 (with VF14 tube), a 67, an M49, and a C12.
The Sphere system employs the high-resolution, dual-channel L22 large-diaphragm condenser microphone, custom designed to capture the three-dimensional soundfield with exacting detail. Manufactured to extremely tight tolerances, the L22 ensures that modelling is consistent and accurate. Because Sphere captures the three-dimensional response of target microphones, it precisely emulates the polar patterns and other off-axis characteristics of vintage microphones which are essential to their unique sound.
- High precision dual channel microphone and Sphere DSP modelling plug-in
- Record with the sound of microphones many have only dreamt about
- Change mic type, polar pattern, and other microphone characteristics, even after tracking!
- Audition the sound of different microphones without tiring the vocalist
- Reduce bleed, undesirable room colouration, and other common issues using Off-Axis Correction™
- Record in stereo from a single microphone
- Breakthrough microphone modelling technology
- Virtually rotate the axis of the mic to give a more off-axis sound before or after tracking
- Off-Axis Correction
- Low self-noise level of 7dB-A SPL
- Can handle in excess of 140dB SPL before clipping