- 30 Watt EL34 Power Section
- Solid State Rectifier
In addition to an updated look, the 2017 Badger has a newly designed preamp that features a high-voltage cascaded MOSFET boost and optimized Power Scaling circuit.
The Suhr Badger is an innovative amp designed to deliver classic tones at any volume. Badger summons a wide range of british tones ranging from west London to Dartford. From warm complex cleans, to classic British high gain, and everything in between – Badger delivers. Need that same high gain tone at lower volumes? No problem, Badger offers power scaling to easily dial in real power tube crunch all the way down to 1 watt.
Driven by a cathode biased power section, Badger delivers a variety of warm, sparkling cleans and rich, dynamic overdrive tones. Whether playing a large stage, small club or your home studio Badger’s Power Scaling feature provides added flexibility. This makes it easy to dial in your ideal tone at any volume – from loud and cranked, all the way down to one watt.
Badger now includes a high-voltage cascaded MOSFET Boost (footswitchable) to offer a broader range of cleaner and overdriven tones with increased dynamic range, transparency and tactile responsiveness.
SINGLE CHANNEL – CATHODE BIASED
The Suhr Badger is a single channel amp that dynamically interacts with your guitar’s volume control and responds to your playing style. The cathode biased power section lends itself to dynamic, spongey tones and requires no bias adjustment when replacing power tubes.
POWER SCALING EXPLAINED
The 2017 Badger features an optimized Power Control to reduce unnatural sound artifacts at lower settings
- POWER: Power Scaling emulates the tonal response of a high wattage amp on 10, at manageable volumes. Power controls the voltage that feeds the output section and in turn, the wattage. As you lower the voltage of the power section you are reducing the amount of signal it can handle before clipping the output section. To compensate for this we use the “Drive” control so you can easily scale down to 1 watt without losing tone & feel.
- DRIVE: Feeds the input to the power section. With Power at 10 it acts as a master volume. As a rule of thumb, when you turn down the Power always set the Drive control within 2 numbers of the Power setting. If you set the drive lower than the power it will sound brighter, like a “master volume” amp.
- GAIN: Controls the amount of preamp gain by controlling 2 cascading gain stages simultaneously to drive the input stage.
- TONE CONTROLS: Bass, Middle and Treble tone controls for each channel are post-gain and passive cut-style. We recommend starting around 5 and dialing to taste. As you increase Gain and/or Drive we recommend dialing back the Bass to retain clarity and definition in the low-end.
- EFFECTS LOOP: Every Suhr Badger includes a buffered all tube effects loop that works equally well with pedals or line level rack gear.