Privacy & Security
This policy describes how Better Music manages personal information. This policy has been formulated in accordance with the Australian Privacy Principles (APPs) set out in the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth). The APPs regulate the handling of personal information including its collection, handling, use, disclosure and storage. A copy of this policy is available upon request by contacting us at the details set out below.
What is personal information?
Personal information means information or an opinion about an identified individual, or an individual who is reasonably identifiable, whether true or not and whether recorded in a material form or not (Personal Information). Better Music will collect and use certain Personal Information about you during the course of your relationship with Better Music. This policy explains how we may collect, use and disclose this information.
Your consent to the terms of this policy
What kinds of Personal Information do we collect about you and how is it collected and held?
Better Music collects Personal Information in order to provide personalised product and information services.
The type of Personal Information we collect may include your name, address, telephone numbers, e-mail address, what you buy, when you buy, information on how you use our products and services and how much you spend, information on your browsing activity when visiting one of our web pages, and personal preferences regarding musical instruments and/or accessories. We do not expect to collect “sensitive information” (such as information about your health) from you.
We will collect the Personal Information directly from you at the time you ask us to provide you with information, or if you place an order with us.
If you browse our website, our internet service provider logs the following information:
- your server (IP) address and top level domain name;
- the date and time of your website visit;
- the country that your server is located;
- the pages that you looked at;
- the type of browser you used;
- the previous site you visited; and
- the site you visited next.
We will not use information obtained from your browsing activities to send you any unsolicited information. This information is collected in order to determine the relevancy of material posted on our website and to enhance this service to visitors.
We will take reasonable steps to ensure that the Personal Information we collect, use or disclose is accurate, complete, up-to-date and stored in a secure environment protected from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure.
Why is Personal Information collected by Better Music?
The Personal Information you provide to Better Music will enable us to make offers of products and services to you.
This information helps us develop and make available products to suit your needs. If you do not provide some or all of the information requested, Better Music may not be able to provide you with a product or service.
In particular, the Personal Information you provide Better Music may be collected, used and disclosed for a number of purposes connected with our business operations, which include:
- Processing your orders or applications;
- Providing you with information, products and/or services requested;
- Telling you about other products or services that may be of interest to you;
- Billing you and/or administering or otherwise managing your account;
- Dealing with requests, enquiries or complaints and other customer service activities;
- Carrying out market and product analysis and marketing products and services;
- Assisting in arrangements with other organisations in relation to the promotion or provision of a product or service;
- Registering your details and allocating or offering you rewards, discounts and/or other benefits and fulfilling any requests or requirements you may have in respect of our loyalty or reward programmes and other similar schemes;
- Purposes relating to any third party acquisition or potential acquisition of an interest in Better Music or its assets; and
- Carrying out any activity in connection with a legal, governmental or regulatory requirement that we have to comply with or in connection with legal proceedings, crime or fraud prevention, detection or prosecution, including investigating any fraud, unlawful activity or misconduct.
We may also use your Personal Information for purposes related to those described above which would be reasonably expected by you. For example, we may use your Personal Information to keep you informed about features of our products and services or to conduct analysis in order to provide better customer service.
How do you access and correct your Personal Information?
Once we have collected your Personal Information, you are entitled under APP 12 to request the details of the information Better Music is holding about you. In order to request such information, you need to contact us by letter, email or telephone and outline the nature of your enquiry. Better Music will take reasonable steps to let you know, generally, what sort of Personal Information we hold, for what purposes and how we collect, use and disclose that information.
Upon your request, Better Music will also provide access to your Personal Information we hold, except in certain prescribed circumstances, including emergency situations, specified business imperatives and law enforcement or other public interests.
We will endeavour to keep and maintain the data held by us as accurate, complete, relevant and up to date as possible. It is important that the information that we hold about you is up to date. You must let us know if information that you have provided to us has changed.
The APPs also give you have a right to request correction of your Personal Information. If you establish that Personal Information held by us is not accurate, complete, relevant, up-to-date or is misleading, we will take reasonable steps in accordance with our obligations under the Privacy Act to correct the information so that it is accurate, complete, relevant, up-to-date and not misleading.
If you would like to access or correct your Personal Information, please contact:
The Privacy Officer
Ph: (02) 6282 3199
To opt-out of receiving certain Better Music marketing materials, you will need to tell us. To do this please send us and email with "unsubscribe" in the Subject Field to email@example.com , or call us on 02 6282 3199.
Please note that if you have an account with Better Music, we will still need to send you essential information about your account.
How can I complain if Better Music breaches this policy or the APPs?
If you have a question, concern or complaint regarding the way in which we handle your Personal Information you should contact us on the details listed above.
You are entitled to lodge a complaint if you believe that we have breached the APPs. If you wish to lodge a complaint with us, you need to write to us setting out the details of your complaint. We will issue you with a response to any complaint within a reasonable time that, if appropriate, will outline the measures that we will take to resolve the complaint.
If you feel that we have not satisfactorily addressed your complaint, you may also make a complaint to the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner by visiting www.oaic.gov.au or by writing to GPO Box 2999 Canberra ACT 2601.
Who will Better Music share my Personal Information with?
Better Music may disclose or receive personal information or documents about you to/from:
- Any organisation that is in an arrangement with Better Music to jointly offer products and or has an alliance with us to share information for marketing purposes to enable that organisation or us to provide you with products or services or promote a product or service;
- Parties involved in any third party acquisition or potential acquisition of an interest in Better Music or its assets;
- Our service providers or agents who assist us in providing our services, including organisations that assist us with archival, research, mail and delivery, auditing, consulting, financial and legal advisory, banking, security or technology services;
- Regulatory bodies, government agencies, law enforcement agencies and courts and any organisation that assists Better Music to identify, prevent or investigate fraud, unlawful activity or misconduct; and
- Your authorised agents, executor, administrator or trustee in bankruptcy, your legal representative, attorney or anyone acting for you in connection with your account.
We do not disclose information to overseas recipients.
What about if you use credit cards to purchase goods from Better Music?
When you purchase goods or services from Better Music, any credit card information you give us to purchase the goods or services is used to process the payment. The original request/application/enrolment form may be stored securely in the Better Musics’ office for audit/taxation requirements and to assist individuals who request duplicate information for their own records. These documents are then destroyed. Our database only records that you attended an activity or purchased a service and how much you paid for it. We do not store your credit card details on our database.
When can we vary this policy?
From time to time it may be necessary for us to review and amend this policy. We reserve the right to amend this policy at any time. You should check our website from time to time for our latest policy.
Better Music (ABN: 43 679 625 324)
Last updated: May 2014